JPMA CERTIFICATION FACT SHEET
Three Decades of Safety!
- JPMA wants all parents to be confident the juvenile products they purchase are designed and built with baby safety in mind. For this reason, JPMA initiated a voluntary Certification Program in 1976 with the introduction of a program for high chairs.
- JPMA works with consumers, representatives from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and other interested parties to develop standards under the auspices of ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials), a highly regarded non-profit organization that publishes standards for materials, products, systems and services.
- JPMA's Certification Seal is available to manufacturers who voluntarily submit products for testing. Only after the product passes the rigorous testing of the appropriate ASTM standard can it display the Certification Seal.
- More than 2,000 products are JPMA Certified in 21 categories: bassinets/cradles, bath seats, booster seats, children’s folding chairs, portable bed rails, infant bouncers, high chairs, play yards/non-full size cribs, walkers, carriages/strollers, gates/enclosures, full-size cribs, portable hook-on chairs, infant swings, hand-held infant carriers, soft infant carriers, stationary activity centers, frame infant carriers, changing tables, toddler beds, and the newest addition in 2010 - infant bathtubs!
- JPMA's Certification Program received special recognition in a historic study "The Value of Associations in American Society," for advancing public safety, health and product quality and was also named to the 2010 Associations Advance America Honor Roll.
- JPMA's Directory of Certified Products is available to retailers. The directory lists the manufacturers of products bearing the JPMA Certification Seal. It is updated twice a year and available 24/7 at www.jpma.org.
- JPMA urges all parents to look for the JPMA Certification Seal on products and packages when shopping for baby.
JPMA FACT SHEET
- The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association, Inc. (JPMA) is a national trade organization representing 95% of the $8.9 billion industry. JPMA, formed in 1962 with 29 industry companies, has grown to include more than 250 companies in the United States, Canada and Mexico. These companies manufacture and/or import infant products such as cribs, car seats, strollers, bedding, and a wide range of accessories and decorative items.
- The primary goal of JPMA is to develop consumer education programs related to product safety. To that end, in 1976 JPMA established a voluntary Certification Program to help guide parents and caregivers toward purchasing juvenile products that are built with safety in mind. Parents can look for the seal on product packaging.
- JPMA's Directory of Certified Products is available to retailers. The directory lists the manufacturers, products and model numbers of products bearing the JPMA Certification Seal. It is updated twice a year or available 24/7 at www.jpma.org.
- JPMA continues to work with government officials, consumer groups, and industry leaders on programs to educate consumers on the safe selection and use of juvenile products. Safe & Sound For Baby and Baby Safety Month are only a few of the programs JPMA sponsors to keep today’s safety conscious parents informed.
- JPMA provides a strong, collective industry presence through the support of a board of directors to promote charity and scholarship activity, international trade, legislative activity, and communications.