- The ParentHood
- The Safety Zone
Oh-so Easy Tips on Making Organic Baby Food
If I was able to choose organic foods that had no pesticides and foods that we’re in season then whipping up baby food in the kitchen would not only be economical but honestly the healthiest thing I could do for her!
I wanted to share some simple tips for new parents on how to make organic baby food from home. If you have any easy recipes or tips you’d like to share with our readers feel free to post them here.
* Choose organic vegetables and fruits. Buy from farmer's market or co-ops to save money and support your local business owners.
* Remember the dirty dozen (highest rated fruits and veggies with pesticides) so you know where to go organic first. For the “Dirty Dozen” list go here: http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php
* Cook in batches so you can freeze a supply of food and always label with the date you prepared it.
* Freeze in ice cube or 1 ounce sizes so you can track how much baby is eating.
* Have the right tools handy in your kitchen.
* Don't be afraid to experiment. For example, you can combine different fruits like apples and pears to make a yummy, flavorful puree.
Tools & Itsabelly’s Cook Book Faves:
* good quality food processor
* steamer basket
* medium to large size pot
* measuring cup
* BPA-Free baby food storage containers
* Portable BPA-Free food mill for traveling
* Freezer safe storage containers
* Anabel Karmel's Super Foods for Babies & Children Cook Book: http://www.amazon.com/Superfoods-Babies-Children-Annabel- Karmel/dp/0743275225
* The Baby Cuisine Cook Book & DVD: http://www.alinascucina.com/
* Video Link to Organic Baby Food Demo on View from the Bay TV Show: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=view_from_the_bay/food_wine&id=...
Three Easy Organic Baby Food Recipes
Easy Yummy Organic Veggie Puree
1 tablespoon organic baby rice cereal
3 tablespoons organic milk or baby's usual milk
1/4 cup of any organic veggie puree (such as carrot or broccoli)
Mix the baby rice and milk together according to the package instructions and stir into the vegetable puree until thoroughly combined.
Note: to make veggie puree - steam organic vegetable until very soft and then puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Add a little of the water from the bottom of the steamer to dilute it if necessary.
Baby's First Organic Fruit Puree
2 medium organic apples or pears, peeled and cored
2 tablespoons water or unsweetened organic apple juice
Chop the apple or pear into small pieces and steam in pot until tender. About 6-8 mins for apple and 4 mins for pears.
Blend the fruit into a smooth puree with a bit of the cooking liquid from the bottom of the steamer.
Organic Tomato Coulis
1 medium tomato
2 basil leaves
Steam tomato, drain the cooking liquid, add the basil and puree.
About the Author
More about Melissa Moog, Itsabelly Baby Planners Founder:
One of America’s original baby planners, Melissa Moog brings enthusiasm and authority to all things maternity and newborn. Melissa has caught the media’s attention across the country, including the AP, ABC, Fox and Pregnancy magazine. To recharge, she enjoys cooking and traveling with her husband, daughter and two yellow labs.